engineer your smart city
Sao Palo, Brazil
What suggestions would you give to make this city smarter? A smarter city could be more efficient, have less congestion, have better communications and have a more intelligent infrastructure. Click on one of the four sectors below to see what others have entered. Or add your own smart solution.
Fill in your information so that we can enter you to win a prize.
Your job is to help make a city in the world smarter. Here is how you can do that.
TERMS & CONDITIONS
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
These rules apply to the "IEEE Smart City Challenge" ("Contest").
1. Sponsor: The Sponsor of the Contest is IEEE, 445 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, NJ 08854-4141 USA ("Sponsor").
2. Eligibility: Contest is open to residents of the United States of America and other countries, where permitted by local law, who are the age of eighteen (18) and older. Employees of Sponsor, its agents, affiliates and their immediate families are not eligible to enter Contest. The Contest is subject to all applicable state, local, federal and national laws and regulations. Void in locations and countries where prohibited by law.
In the event Sponsor concludes that a potential winner is or should be ineligible, the potential winner will be disqualified, not receive a prize and an alternate winner will be selected, using the methods described in these Official Rules.
By participating in this Contest, Participants agree to abide by these Official Rules as established by Sponsor and/or as may be amended or changed by Sponsor subsequent to the commencement of the Contest, in Sponsorâ€™s sole discretion and without notice. Sponsor reserves the right to review and qualify all Submissions and to reject any Submissions that do not meet the requirements for participation as established by Sponsor. Decisions of Sponsor are final and binding in all respects.
3. How to Enter: This contest opens on October 13, 2014 at 12:00 PM ET and all entries must be received by 11:59 PM ET on November 10, 2014 ("Promotional Period"). Entrants will have two ways to enter this contest, each with their own separate prize giveaways. Entrants can enter the contest during Promotional Period through the following channels:
I. Facebook. Entrants who 'like' the IEEE Facebook page can submit votes through the IEEE Smart City Challenge Facebook application. In order to be counted as a valid entry, an entrant must provide their name and email address on the intro screen. Once an entrant provides their information, they will be able to add a smart city solution to a city of their choosing on the map. Multiple solutions will count as multiple entries. All entries must also comply with Facebook rules.
II. Futurecom 2014 Showroom Floor. Entrants who visit the IEEE booth at Futurecom 2014 will be able to enter their votes into the IEEE Smart City Challenge through a touchscreen computer. To be considered an entry, a user will be required to give their name and email address before participating in the app. A submission of name and email address counts as an entry. Multiple votes will count as multiple entries.
There is no limit to the amount of times a person can submit through the system. The number of submissions will increase chances of winning. Facebook and Visa are hereinafter referred to as the "Contest Entities."
Entrant's Warranty and Authorization to Sponsor: By entering the Contest, entrants warrant and represent that the Contest Entry has been created and submitted by the Entrant. Entrants further represent and warrant, if they reside outside of the United States of America, that their participation in this contest and acceptance of a prize will not violate their local laws. By entering the Contest, Entrants also give Sponsor the right to reuse and/or repost their entries on Sponsor social media channels. Entries may also be used in advertising, promotional and other purposes in any and all media now and hereafter known. Entrant names, likenesses and email address will not be used in any promotional and advertising materials.
4. Number of Prizes Available, Prizes, Approximate Retail Value and Odds of winning Prizes: One (1) promotional prize for Futurecom 2014 showroom floor: $300 Amazon gift card (approximate retail value: $300). One (1) promotional prize for Facebook contest including: $100 Amazon gift card (approximate retail value: $100). Prize will be distributed after the conclusion of the Promotional Period to all entries received through the showroom floor. Odds of winning a prize depend on the number of eligible entries received during the Promotional Period.
5. Selection of Winners: Winner will be chosen at random from all submitted entries. Sponsor will choose winner at the conclusion of the Promotional Period and will notify them via email. All potential winners will be notified via their email provided from the sponsor. Potential winners will have five (5) business days to respond after receiving initial prize notification or the prize may be forfeited and awarded to an alternate winner. Potential winners may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility (which affirms that they have complied with these rules) as well as a liability release, and a publicity release (where permitted by law), which if issued, must be completed, signed and returned within ten (10) business days from the date of issuance or the prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to an alternate winner. If prize or prize notification is returned as undeliverable or in the event of noncompliance with these Official Rules, prize will be forfeited and may be awarded to an alternate winner.
6. General Prize Restrictions: No prize substitutions or transfer of prize permitted, except by the Sponsor due to prize unavailability. Import/Export taxes, VAT and country taxes on prizes are the sole responsibility of winners. Acceptance of a prize constitutes permission for the Sponsor and its designees to use winner's name and likeness for advertising, promotional and other purposes in any and all media now and hereafter known without additional compensation unless prohibited by law. Winner acknowledges that neither Sponsor, Contest Entities nor their directors, employees, or agents, have made nor are in any manner responsible or liable for any warranty, representation, or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to any prize, including but not limited to its quality, mechanical condition or fitness for a particular purpose. Any and all warranties and/or guarantees on a prize (if any) are subject to the respective manufacturers' terms therefor, and winners agree to look solely to such manufacturers for any such warranty and/or guarantee.
7. Limitation of Liability: The Sponsor, Contest Entities and their respective parents, affiliates, divisions, licensees, subsidiaries, and advertising and promotion agencies, and each of the foregoing entities' respective employees, officers, directors, shareholders and agents (the "Released Parties") are not responsible for incorrect or inaccurate transfer of entry information, human error, technical malfunction, lost/delayed data transmissions, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, line failures of any telephone network, computer equipment, software or any combination thereof, inability to access web sites, damage to a user's computer system (hardware and/or software) due to participation in this contest or any other problem or error that may occur. By entering, participants agree to release and hold harmless the Released Parties from and against any and all claims, actions and/or liability for injuries, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with participation in and/or liability for injuries, loss or damage of any kind, to person or property, arising from or in connection with participation in and/or entry into this contest, participation is any contest-related activity or use of any prize won. Entry materials that have been tampered with or altered are void. If for any reason this contest is not capable of running as planned, or if this contest or any website associated therewith (or any portion thereof) becomes corrupted or does not allow the proper playing of this contest and processing of entries per these rules, or if infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this contest, Sponsor reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual implicated in such action, and/or to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend this contest or any portion thereof, or to amend these rules without notice. In the event of a dispute as to who submitted an online entry, the entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder the email address submitted at the time of entry. "Authorized Account Holder" is defined as the person assigned to an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider or other organization responsible for assigning email addresses for the domain associated with the email address in question. Any attempt by an entrant or any other individual to deliberately damage any web site or undermine the legitimate operation of the contest is a violation of criminal and civil laws and should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages and other remedies from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. This contest is governed by the laws of the State of New Jersey and all entrants hereby submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of federal or state courts located in the State of New Jersey for the resolution of all claims and disputes. Visa, Consumer Electronics Association and Facebook are not sponsors nor affiliated with this contest.
8. Disputes: EACH ENTRANT AGREES THAT: (1) ANY AND ALL DISPUTES, CLAIMS, AND CAUSES OF ACTION ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS CONTEST, OR ANY PRIZES AWARDED, SHALL BE RESOLVED INDIVIDUALLY, WITHOUT RESORTING TO ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION, PURSUANT TO ARBITRATION CONDUCTED UNDER THE COMMERCIAL ARBITRATION RULES OF THE AMERICAN ARBITRATION ASSOCIATION THEN IN EFFECT, (2) ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, JUDGMENTS AND AWARDS SHALL BE LIMITED TO ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET COSTS INCURRED, INCLUDING COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH ENTERING THIS CONTEST, BUT IN NO EVENT ATTORNEYS' FEES; AND (3) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL ANY ENTRANT BE PERMITTED TO OBTAIN AWARDS FOR, AND ENTRANT HEREBY WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO CLAIM, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL, AND CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, AND ANY OTHER DAMAGES, OTHER THAN FOR ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET EXPENSES, AND ANY AND ALL RIGHTS TO HAVE DAMAGES MULTIPLIED OR OTHERWISE INCREASED. ALL ISSUES AND QUESTIONS CONCERNING THE CONSTRUCTION, VALIDITY, INTERPRETATION AND ENFORCEABILITY OF THESE OFFICIAL RULES, OR THE RIGHTS AND OBLIGATIONS OF ENTRANT AND SPONSOR IN CONNECTION WITH THE CONTEST, SHALL BE GOVERNED BY, AND CONSTRUED IN ACCORDANCE WITH, THE LAWS OF THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY, WITHOUT GIVING EFFECT TO ANY CHOICE OF LAW OR CONFLICT OF LAW, RULES OR PROVISIONS (WHETHER OF THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY OR ANY OTHER JURISDICTION) THAT WOULD CAUSE THE APPLICATION OF THE LAWS OF ANY JURISDICTION OTHER THAN THE STATE OF NEW JERSEY. SPONSOR IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY TYPOGRAPHICAL OR OTHER ERROR IN THE PRINTING OF THE OFFER OR ADMINISTRATION OF THE CONTEST OR IN THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF THE PRIZES.
9. Contest Results and Official Rules: To obtain the identity of the prize winner and/or a copy of these Official Rules, send a self-addressed stamped envelope to Fran Tardo, IEEE, 445 Hoes Lane, Piscataway, NJ 08854-4141 USA.